Zee Avi



Zee Avi is one of my favourite artists so far, she is incredibly underrated as an international star. I discovered Zee Avi's music 3 years ago, when I was on holiday in Malaysia in a shopping mall. Her album was played in a record store and I bought it on the basis of her pure sounding voice. Little did I know she was the first female to be signed on to Jack Johnson's record label - Bushfire, and is also signed to Monotone Records who manages the likes of Vampire Weekend and Cold War Kids.

Her self titled album is constantly on repeat and I adore how her soft voice sings about the dark side of romance. A few of my favourite tracks include her adaption of Morrisey's 'First of the Gang to Die' and her very own 'Just You and Me', the latter which features her play on the ukulele providing a sweet jazzy vibe. Despite her never touring in the UK, I always hear her songs play in Costa cafes, where people are oblivious to her fame but feel an instant recognition to her songs. Zee Avi was my favourtie album 3 years back and still probably is now, as her songs never get boring and I don't think they ever will. If, and when she does a tour in the UK, I will be first among many to get her tickets to her gig, because it will definitely be something special.


No comments:

Post a Comment